The test consists of a screw-capped, glass tube half filled with a selective microbiological culture gel that semi-quantitatively indicates the presence of sulphide generating bacteria by the rate and extent of the development of a black colour. The sample is added to the tube which is kept warm (incubated) for up to seven days; results are examined at regular intervals.
What is the test?
What is the test used for?
The Sig Sulphide test is used to detect the presence of microorganisms that can generate corrosive sulphide, e.g. Sulphide Generating Bacteria (SGB) including Sulphate Reducing Bacteria (SRB).
What can I test with the Sig Sulphide test kit?
- Closed Water Heating and Cooling Systems
- Bilge Water
- Ballast Water
- Fuel Tank Water Bottom
- Metal Working Fluids
- Process Waters, including coolants
- Water associated with Lubricants
- Environmental Waters
- Soil, mud and drill core samples.
- Metal surfaces which are prone to attack by SRB. A sterile swab can be used to swab surfaces or corrosion pits then thrust into a Sig Sulphide tube
What are the advantages?
- Quick, easy and safe to use
- Heavy infection is detected overnight. Much faster than the standard laboratory test method NACE TMO194-94
- Simple to read results
- Results are semi quantitative and give an indication of the severity of an infection
- Many times cheaper than a laboratory test for sulphide generating organisms.
Who can use the test?
Full instructions are supplied and no special training is required to use the Sig Sulphide test.
What Pack Sizes are available?
The Sig Sulphide test is sold in packs of 10 tests. If you require a larger pack size for your application please let us know.
What is the shelf life of the test?
The Sig Sulphide test is manufactured with 1 years Shelf-life from date of production. We normally supply tests with at least 8 months remaining, please let us know at the time of your order if you require a longer Shelf-life and we will do our best to accommodate you.
What are the storage requirements of the test?
The test can be stored for at least a year at ambient temperature. If the appearance of the test has not changed after prolonged storage it should be suitable for use.
What about support?
We provide full technical support to all of our customers, regardless of the product or service they are using. Product support via e-mail and phone is completely free of charge to all of our clients, and that is something we are proud to provide.
What is the HS code of the Sig Sulphide Test?
The Harmonized Commodity Description and Coding System generally referred to as “Harmonized System” or simply “HS” is a multipurpose international product nomenclature developed by the World Customs Organization (WCO).
The Sig Sulphide Test is classified as: Prepared culture media for the development or maintenance of micro-organisms HS: 38.21.00.00 for export and HS 38.21.00.00.00 for import.